Tuesday, June 24, 2008

.....it's the moon and the stars.

Well.....here it is 3 weeks later. The Bimini trip was every bit as much fun as you'd expect it to be. We had a blast down there. Saw sharks and barracudas and eels and a zillion different fish. Caught some fish....mackerel, which we cooked on the days we caught them,...barracudas, which we threw back as quick as we could. I honestly believe we caught one barracuda twice. Gray caught it on the left side and threw it back and 15 seconds later I caught one that looked just like it, and although I confess they all look exactly alike, it just seemed like the exact same one.

All the reports I got from here said things went great and there was lots of help, which is great. I can't speak to specifics because I wasn't here but they had hot dogs the first week when a Sunday School class was helping and they cooked 3 turkeys last week and had turkey sandwiches.

This week was tough because I didn't really know what to cook and didn't have anything on hand pulling me one way or another. I was just wandering around Sam's looking for inspiration and had pretty much resigned myself to buying some chicken thighs and drumsticks but decided to wander around one more time when I saw the Bananas were 1.38 for a 3 lb. bag. I thought we could make peanut butter and banana sandwiches and then i thought and pb&j's and peanut butter and honey sandwiches would be good too. Plus, we wouldn't have to heat up the kitchen and it would be nice, non-hot food to serve them.So that's what we did.

MENU
PB&J's
Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches
Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches
Fruit Cocktail
Chips
Dessert
Sweet Tea/Water

Helpers
Steve Ledger
Bryce Ledger
Blake ledger
Liz
TJ
Danielle
Bailey
Tom
Eric
Candace
Bryan
Anna
Josh
Chris
Sarah
Pruden
Emily
Craig
me

It was good to be back tonight. I've been looking forward to tonight ever since we returned last Wednesday.

I know that God is with us all the time and His love surrounds us and all that stuff I have head knowledge of, but there comes a time every Tuesday when without warning or announcement I feel God's presence as physically as I feel rain or wind. It might come during a prayer or in someone's words or watching someone else serve someone in the food line, but it just about always hits me. I guess the trick is to connect and be ready for it all the time.
I get it at other times too. The past couple weeks down in Bimini is a perfect example. We always leave at night from Ft. Lauderdale and cross over to Bimini. Once we get out away from the coast, if it's a clear night (and it was this year) you get a gorgeous sky, full of stars on a dark backdrop with no other light to interfere. And I get off on it. I love looking at the nighttime sky. It fascinated me as a kid and still fascinates me to this day. I love looking at the Hubble pictures when they come in. All that outer space stuff does it for me.
So every night I would get somewhere and look up at the sky. Front of the boat, top of the boat,... it didn't matter. Just sit back and look up and around. And my mind would keep coming back to the verse that said, Be still and know that I am God. When I see it all laid out like that above me, that's pretty easy for me to do. I just need to find ways to be still back here and know it, too. The same stars I saw down there are still above me here, only not as easily, if ever seen....but they're still there and He is still God.
For some people it's sunsets or thunderstorms or maybe even flowers that they see that let's them know God is God and what he has done and can do.
Me?.......

No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google