Monday, May 17, 2010

Tuesdays with Warden

This week's meal was planned and provided by the Fellowship Sunday School class. This crowd was organized and ready to go. I made sure I got there at 5:55 because I told them 6:00. I walked in and they already beans and corn on the stove, and the ham sliced, ready to go in the oven.
I could get used to that.
They came in two waves. The first wave was the cooking wave and then the serving wave came around 7:00, ready to carry food out and start passing out food. 
I had kids come, too, so I set up as much interaction between the two groups as I could. I sort of assigned kids places to hang out to show the adults where things were and to answer questions about how we did things. They liked having answers for the adults.

The menu
BAKED HAM
CORN
GREEN BEANS
DINNER ROLLS
DESSERT
SWEET TEA/ WATER

It was another one of those great days where heaven just opened up and rained food on us. We were given a huge box of fruit, somebody brought a big garbage bag full of artisan breads and bagels and we had more cookies than we could use for the meal.
Hmmmm .....bread....fruit....cookies.....The Walkaway Special!
We took the lunch meat we had and made ham and cheese bagels and peanut butter bagels, and tossed them in lunch bags with a couple of pieces of fruit and 2 cookies. 
Nice.

WAYNE AND KATIE HILLGAYE THOMAS / JIMMY AND TOM WALLACE / GLENDA AND JIM CURRIN / LINDA GURGANUS / VICKIE PORTER / MIKE AND ANNE COCKERHAM / CHARLES LIESE / JERRI ROGERS / KERRY TAYLOR were the members of the class who were able to come and be a part of the night. I'd also like to recognize and thank  the members of the class who weren't able to come but provided money and prayed for us. We appreciate their efforts.
WAYNE / STEVE / ANNA / J.BOGGS / TYLER / EBY / CHRISTIAN / JASON / BAILEY / SHANE / PEYSON / ALEXIS / CREEEECH! / MO-GAN / BLAKE /  are great people that do amazing things on Tuesday nights.

Not so quick story: Mike Cockerham is in the Fellowship class and came Tuesday night. I haven't called him "Mike" or "Mr. Cockerham" in years. He's always "Warden".
He was a chaperon with us years ago on a ski trip. We had a rule about no CD players on the trip because we wanted kids interacting not secluding. Most of the kids brought them anyway and there were several wearing them on the bus ride. Don saw them and we talked about it and decided everyone that brought one would miss the morning ski session. "Mike" volunteered to stay back at the house with the rule breakers. We started joking about house arrest and when we came in for lunch I saw him and said" How'd it go, Warden?" 
And to this day that's the only name I've ever needed for him.
He doesn't call me "Gary" either, but you'll have to ask him about the reason for that.              g

No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google