Wednesday, February 2, 2011

.........TEXAS PETE !

 / BRIANNA / KILLER ELAINE / CECELIA / ANNA / JOHANNA/ ALEXANDRA / BLAKE / MARK / WAYNE / ELLYN / ZUPON! / BRIEN / STEVE / DON / TERESA / CHARLES / came out last night and put Love into action and their faith into practice.


Sunday night was a church get together to discuss business that needed to be taken care of. Folks were invited to bring a pot of chili. When it was over they were invited to donate their leftover chili to us to use. When it was all collected and compiled, we had about 9 gallons of chili to use.
Some people might say Eeewww? You just dump different chili's together?
Yes. After all, chili is a dish where you dump various things together to begin with, so dumping different chilis together isn't all that different. Once you let it cool and sit in the fridge for a couple of days, it's good to go.
MENU
CHILI
JALAPENO CORNBREAD
COLLARDS
DESSERT
SWEET TEA / WATER
We made jalapeno cornbread and put crackers and some foccacia out if they wanted it. Cheese, sourcream, jalapenoes, and TEXAS PETE rounded out the table. We had someone give us a big pan of collards at the last minute. That's not how I roll, but some people loved it.


One of the guys whose name you see listed every week is homeless. He joined the church and is there every week. He attends a Sunday School class and many of the social functions offered. He has spent most of the past year sleeping under the Isabella Holmes Bridge. Occasionally there has been money to put him and his buddy in a motel for a week or two at a time.
The first thing he did when he saw me last night was hold up some keys on a keyring and tell me he had moved in to his new place. He was very excited about it and he should be. After we finished and I drove him home, I walked up with him to take a look at it. He said the power guy hadn't showed up to cut the power on and it would be dark, but there was a hanger on the doorknob saying he'd come by and things were good. The look on his face when the lights came on was something I wish you could have seen. A lot of good people were instrumental in making this a reality and although they don't want thanks , they deserve it.


Plans have been made to take a High School Spring Break Mission Trip to New York City to help with homeless ministries in the area. More on that later as it gets closer.


Our friend in the hospital was discharged and doing OK.


Elaine King is a freshman at Hoggard High School and the person I trust most to make the Sweet Tea every week. She has "apprenticed " under me for a long time now and I know all I have to do is say Elaine- you got Tea, and in 40 minutes she'll be handing me a cup of iced tea to taste. I don't have to check in or look over shoulder to make sure she's doing it the way I would. That's peace of mind.


When it comes to our SUPER BOWL PARTY! we've been fortunate in several ways; I've had great help every year, we've gotten larger by approximately 10 people each year, and the games themselves have been fun and exciting. This year's should be as good as the others.


I want to have some door prizes this year, but I haven't figured out what to use for prizes. I don't want do things like blankets or gloves, because that feels like I'm saying One person wins a basic life necessity and no one else does!YaY! I thought about getting some Packer or Steeler gear, or maybe some gift cards. Not sure. I'm open to suggestions, though, if you have any.


We're getting a bigger pig (120 lb) this year because we're expecting more folks. Last year's 85 lb'er was just enough. Gonna pick it up Saturday. Part of me wants to get some of the skin and try to make some homemade pork rinds. That would be cool!
If I did, you know the first flavor I'd try to make? .............

No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google