Tuesday, April 28, 2009

...I only have to do it about once every 2 or 3 years.

Feels like the first time in a long time that I've actually sat down on a Tuesday night to write about it.

I keep saying how we make plans on what we're going to cook, only to find that we might not have as much say in it as we think. It's true. Me and Twig'll make a plan, now. But running the plan ain't always the plan, if you catch my drift.
The plan was meatloaf. I was going to go down after church and get the ground beef out of the freezer and put in the fridge to thaw.
Except I got sidetracked after Sunday School and left to go play my tennis match without doing it. No problem. I figured I'd run down after youth group and take care of it.
However, a couple of people told me that there had been food left over from the dance at the Act. Ctr. on Saturday night and they'd put in the fridge for us.
Okay.
We can supplement what we planned with that.
But then I go down to the church after youth group. I open the fridge to make room for the ground beef to thaw.....and there's 7 big aluminum pans of food crammed in there. Turkey and gravy, roastbeef and gravy, squash casserole, greenbeans, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and peach cobbler. No note, no calls about it, nothing,. Just put in the fridge for us.
At least, nowadays I assume it's for us. So I didn't thaw the ground beef like I planned.

And guess what?
The food from the dance was just enough for the first stop.
And guess what else?
The mystery donor food was just enough for the 2nd stop.

That tends to put me in my place when it comes to my plans and what I'm gonna do.
It's very humbling, too, because it's not just every now and then that stuff like that happens. Every week you can see where God makes it known that He's there and He's in the things that are going on.

Especially when I get my plans out of the way and let Him.

Tonight was a good night. The weather, the food, the volunteers, our friends that came and ate,..it was just good.
1st stop:
Ham and Cheese sandwiches
Roast Beef and Cheese sandwiches
Deviled eggs (more on those later)
Greek Potatoes
Peach Cobbler
Sweet Tea

2nd Stop
Turkey and gravy
Roast beef and gravy
Squash casserole
Sweet Potatoes
Dreassing
Green beans
Assorted desserts
Sweet Tea

BRIEN TERESA TWIG PRUDEN STEVE BLAKE ERICA MORGAN
ELAINE SAVANNA MAGGIE MERRITT MATTIE CRAIG PEYSON J.BOGGS RYAN and me were the ones holding down the fort this week.

OFFICIAL PUBLIC APOLOGY
Last week every one kinda shouted Anna down about the new Miss USA being on last year's mission trip to Guatamela. Anna said she didn't remember her being on it, maybe she was on the year before. Everybody was all "No.No.No. She was on last year's. I remember blah blah blah......:"
Well, I looked on the picture on the wall in the Activity Center and it was 2 years ago and not last year. Anna was right and everyone else was wrong! Way to hold your ground, Anna.



Even though it happens alot, I'm still amazed the way people find their way to us. I was sitting in the kitchen about 5:40 today, reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan, just waiting for people to start arriving and a woman walks in and says "Hey, I'm Erica and I'm here to volunteer."

Never seen her before in my life, had no clue who she might be, so I said "Good. My name's Gary. Have we talked on the phone?"

She said no, and starts to tell me how she got to us. She's a contract nurse, here between jobs, volunteering around town, a couple of people she helped at the Tileston Clinic told her about us, she came by the church and BOOM!... here she was. Rides a BMW motorcycle, travels a lot, been to some of the same places in Guatemala around the same time we had, originally from Arkansas. Friendly as the day is long and fit in like she'd been coming for years.

And she finds us. Not because we went recruiting or because we advertised for help.
As far as the public apology to Anna, no sweat. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. After all.......

No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google