Tuesday, September 2, 2008

...I think we'll just stick with the candy.

I'll admit that tonight was one of the more offbeat menus we've offered but I figured they'd like it. We served Tomato sandwiches and butterbeans. That's right......Tomato sandwiches and butterbeans.
A couple of guys said they couldn't eat tomatoes because of the acid, so we had some ham and cheese as backup for them.

Why Tomato sandwiches?

Because I rode out to Billy Vaughn's house Saturday, and on the way out I asked him what was for lunch. He said tomato sandwiches, if you stop and pick up some tomatoes. So I did and that was lunch. Actually, we put bologna and cheese on our tomato sandwiches. It's an acquired taste. ( Besides, if you go to Billy's on a Saturday, it's gonna be Tomato sandwiches or Bacon and Egg sandwiches at some point in the day.)
Later, I was telling Twig about it and we decided we could do Tomato sandwiches one night and add something to it.....like beans. Then we said what about this Tuesday?

He soaked the beans overnight and added country ham and stuff, so they were a pretty souped-up version (pun intended). We sliced two boxes of tomatoes and rounded up a lot of mayonnaise and black pepper. We also baked two tubs of chocolate chip cookies.
Pretty basic and simple. Very good, though.

We got a bunch of "Man, I haven't had one of these in years" and "My mom used to fix these". Most of them really seemed to enjoy them.

Then again, maybe most of them were just being kind. Either way, I'll take it.

Here's my recipe for a Tomato sandwich:
Put 2 big slices of tomato on a slice of bread and put a lot of black pepper on the tomato. Put a lot of mayonnaise on the other slice of bread and slap'em together. Enjoy!
It helps to make lots of "mmmmmm's" and "nnhh nnnhhh nnnnhhhh's" while you eat it

Along for the Great Tomato Sandwich Experiment tonight was:
Ellen John Jon Hill Jon Boggs Twig Jane Anna Teresa Bryan Morgan Campbell Candace Eric Tracy Trina Laura Michael me

Bryan Campbell's daughter Morgan is going to do her Sr. Project on the Homeless and was here tonight helping. I agreed to be her Mentor.
Yeah.
Because the first thing you think of when you think of me is "Mentor".
'Tor"-mentor , maybe.

I'm a little late with these but...Eric and Candace are engaged. And Twig and Jane are engaged. Congratulations to them.
Talk about different approaches to it....One couple is getting married in St. Thomas, down in the Virgin Islands (insert your own joke here) and the other is getting married in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. You can ask them yourselves to see who's going where.

This Sunday night is the Business conference where all the Missions trip from the summer will report, and before that the gym will be set up with different Ministries that FBC members serve in or FBC supports.
Guess who's gonna be there, sitting at a table, with some pictures slapped up on a trifold, answering questions about what we do on Tuesday Nights?

SPECIAL DEAL FOR BLOG READERS!
If you come to the table and say "VERDANA", I'll give you a piece of candy. BUT....don't tell anyone else to do it or it won't be special for blog readers (and I might run out of candy). It'll just be our little blog secret.
PLUS... I'll give you another piece if you can tell me what "VERDANA"is.

I thought about giving away $200 gas cards, but everybody's doing that, so...... g

1 comment:

  1. Mater sandwhiches...good stuff :-)

    SDG

    Allen

    ReplyDelete


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google