Tuesday, October 28, 2008

...and somebody won't be coming back next week, if you know what I mean.

FISHFRY was great!

Wish you could've been with us!

I really, really do love FISHFRY night. We're breading fish, we're deep frying hush puppies, making homemade tartar sauce...It's like being a Shriner or in the American Legion Post for one night. I wish i could've got my hands on one of those little red fez's they wear. It was cold and windy outside too, which made it even better. I like cold, windy nights.

We had several types of fish to cook tonight. Flounder, Spot, Whiting, some Blues, and one little bite size Pompano got fried tonight.
the rest of the menu was:
Hush Puppies
Corn on the Cob
Cole Slaw
Desserts
Sweet Tea/Water
To make sure we had enough fish for everybody, we handed out BB-Q Chicken sandwiches for seconds instead of fish. Amy Long donated the BB-Q Chicken to us from what was left over at the Fall Festival.

Why homemade tartar sauce?
Because.....
Normally I go to Something Fishy and say I'm Gary Harris, I do this thing on Tuesday nights, blah,blah,blah ...Can I buy a couple of quarts of Tartar sauce?
Well, the girl usually just gives it to me for free.
And I go there because I can't find it in bulk any where. I don't want to buy 7 jars if I can help it.

But I wasn't able to get to that side of town today to get any.
So I'm thinking "What is Tartar sauce? Mayonnaise and Relish, right? I got 2 big jars of that downtown in the kitchen."
I figured it couldn't be that easy, so I asked someone and they said it also had lemon juice.

Really? That was it?

So when everything got up and going, me and Little Thug (Emory Miller) got out the Mayo, the Relish and the Lemon Juice.

It seemed like the kind of thing you could just eyeball so I started piling mayo into a container, adding relish, and squirting lemon juice.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Little Thug was backing away from me, as if to say "I take no responsibility for this."

The first quantity was good but it took a couple of tries to get the ratio of mayo to relish right. Then I saw it wasn't enough so I had to toss more in and do it all over again. I had trouble finding anyone to taste it and tell me what they thought. My usual partner in crimes against cooking, John Liverman, was outside working the hush puppies, so I was on my own. In the end it was pretty good.

When no one was looking I added some Texas Pete. I swear we ought to be able to pick up some kind of sponsorship from that crowd, because we use tons of it.

The FISHFRY'ers tonight were
John Ellen J. Boggs Michael Mary Peyson Anna Teresa Brien Twig Jane Tyson Adam Little Thug KK
Laura Frank Candace Morgan me

We saw over 35 at the first stop, which is incredible and makes us nervous about having enough at the second stop. But ...God is good and we had enough for everyone we saw tonight.

It's the time of year when they start to ask about blankets and coats, so if you want to donate any to us, we'll be glad to get them into the hands of people that could use them. You can contact me at 910 6290 5430. Thanks.

Chris Armstrong takes over next week as part of his Graduation Project. he plans on doing Lemon Pepper chicken and mashed potatoes. He'll do a great job. He's already my go-to guy for saying grace and running back down to LEC when I forget something. He's a great guy.

Morgan Campbell will do hers the first Tuesday in December. She'll do fine also. I think she's working on Pizza for that night, which would be a main course first for us.

I'm going to confess something......I gotta take off so I can rush home and watch the 12:00 repeat of The Shield. I could wait 'tli Saturday or Sunday and watch it at Midnight then, but I can't wait that long.

I think Vic and Shane get into it tonight.......

1 comment:

  1. Fish Fry, Rock on man! Sounds like good stuff. Maybe one of these days I can get back down to Wilmington and be there with y'all. Praying for you brother!

    SoliDeoGloria

    Allen

    ReplyDelete


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google