Monday, March 30, 2009

Here's why I didn't post last Tuesday........

I am so screwed when I don't write this on Tuesdays after we're done feeding. I usually do it between 10:00 and 12:00 (now that The Shield is over, I got nothing else going on then) when everything is still fresh in my mind. If I deviate and put it off for some reason, it's tough to remember everybody, it's not as recent to me and the overall vibe of what we just did isn't there. Plus, I don't get on it right away and do it. But some times I have to put it off and this was one of those weeks. Let me tell you about the regular stuff and then I'll fill you in on what happened.



We had a diggety-dank meal. Last week I pulled out the 6 turkeys we had in the freezer to thaw and Twig put them on the grill that afternoon. By 6:00, we had 'em ready to be pulled apart by the kids for open face turkey sandwiches.

*DIGRESSION ALERT*

Turkey skin. I think I'm on record as to how much I love eating the skin of a turkey that has just been cooked. Fried, baked, grilled....I don't care if you cooked in a prison cell with a propane torch, I'd pull the skin off and eat it. I don't know if my sister realizes this, but the biggest reason I offer to carve the turkey every Thanksgiving is so I can eat the skin while I do it. Poems need to written about it, songs sung for it and monuments erected to it. The day I can get just Turkey skin at the Kane and Wheelchair (K&W Cafeteria) would be one best days of my life. You know why you never see skin on the turkey when you order it in a restaurant? 'Cause the guys that cooked it in the back already pulled it off and ate it!



Now that I got that out of my system..........



Ill try to list everyone there. Here goes

Zack Cameron Demeterius Veronica Ellen Alexis Nellie Maggie Cameron Dallas Hampton Teresa Twig John J.Boggs Ryan Laura Creeeeeech! Alexandra Blake



I probably forgot a few. My bad.

We served the turkey open faced on 2 slices of bread with gravy, alongside mashed potatoes and green beans. It was a great meal. It was pretty funny to watch some of them pulling meat off the turkey carcass. I don't know if they'd ever made the association that turkey meat was once on a live bird and it has to be dead before it shows up at Subway.

FYI: 6 turkeys will give you about 7 gallons of meat, not to mention enough turkey skin goodness to make your vision close in and your neck swell up.

There were 40 people in line before we could get the tables set up. We turned and burned on the meals until just about all the meat was gone. We had about 2 good handfuls left.

It was about 9:05 when the guy said he needed to talk to me ....bad. I told him okay, eat your plate and come find me.

He found me. Here's the conversation that took place:

HIM: Rev, I need help.

ME: Whatta you need?

HIM: I don't need no money! I need help, do you hear, me?

ME: OK. What do you need?

HIM: Lookee here, boss man...I need a ride!

ME: A ride? Where to?

HIM: I start a job tomorrow. I got to get off the street, you hear what I'm saying? But I ain't got no way to get there tomorrow. If I get there I can find people from this way and get back and forth, but I ain't got no ride tomorrow.

ME: 5-6 seconds of silence

HIM: Can you help me?

ME: What time do you have to be there?

HIM: 7:00 a.m.

ME: Where?

(ready for this?)

HIM: Rocky Point!

And I have one of those moments where 5 seconds pass but I do 10 minutes worth of thinking in my head. Boiled down it went like this:

7:00 in Rocky Point!?!? I don't want to do that. I could but I don't want to. 7 means leaving at 6 and that means me getting up at 5. Plus I'd have to go to bed early and that means to no blog-time.

And driving to Rocky Point?

No fun.

I could do it, there's nothing actually stopping me, outside of the whole 7 o'clock-6 o'clock-5 o'clock Rocky Point thing.

But if I don't who will. It's already going on 9:30. And don't flatter yourself Gary, but you probably weren't his first choice, just his last resort. And I'd do it for Don or Greg and nearly anybody else at church, so why not him? Especially, why not him? The others could probably be able to return the favor one day. I doubt he would. Jesus spent a parable on that. Don't invite the rich and famous to your banquet because they can and might return the favor. Invite the ones who can't do anything for you and God will reward when his Kingdom comes.

But 7 means 6 and 6 means 5......

(over and over and over) Finally:

ME: OK. Where you gonna be at 6:00?

HIM: Right here. I'll be right here at 6:00. Thanks, bossman. Thanks.

And that's that part of the story. I'll try to post tomorrow and tell you about actually taking him there, because that's a whole 'nother story altogether.

g

No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google