Tuesday, May 20, 2008

.....amazing how seldom that ever happens.

Didn't rain on us tonight. Nope. They were calling for it and we could see lightning heading our way, but we made it just fine and thank God for it.
I was really glad the wind didn't whip up because we had all kinds of stuff on the table and we'd have been in trouble.
Tonight's menu was ....TACO SALAD! The thing is, I've been wanting to do burritos forever, and we talked about it today and were pretty much ready to say let's do it, but to do burritos, because of the tortilla and wrapping and everything else that comes with making them we would have probably had to make them in the kitchen and then just pass them out. But a taco salad doesn't require a huge degree of precision to make, that would work out great on the serving line and give everybody something to do. So...TACO SALAD it was! Besides, when you get right down to it, a TACO SALAD is just a burrito with no clothes on.
We had
Taco Meat
Nacho chips
Shredded Lettuce
Onions
Cheese
Tomatoes
Jalapenos
Salsa
Sour Cream
Dessert
Water/Tea
Special Treat: Ice Cream Sandwiches and Popsicles

They seemed to like it and we gave out all the meat and most everything else. E.B. and I took a little bit of everything left (meat, cheese sauce, tomatoes, jalapenos, and salsa) and made a dip. It was goood. I just don't know what I'm gonna do with it. "E.B." is Theresa Bland's daughter Elizabeth. She comes and helps when she not off at App State. She's funny.
The wonderful folks bringing the Kingdom to people tonight were:
Theresa
E.B.
Ellen
Jennifer (Ellen's friend)
John
Chris
Josh
J. Boggs
Eric
Candace
Bryan
Twig
Danielle
Liz
Tracy
Trina
me

The "Liz" in the list above is Liz Alexander. Liz's dad, Thomas Alexander passed away a year ago today of ALS. I was aware of this and thought about it off and on throughout the day. I wasn't sure what they might do as a family or how they would spend their day, but I was really really glad to see Liz walk in with Danielle tonight. Of all the things she could've done, she chose to come down and spend time meeting the needs of others. Alot of us would've been looking to our needs on a day like this, but Liz was here with us, and I think it would make Thomas proud to see her cooking and passing out food tonight. As her schedule has allowed, she has been one of the most faithful youth helpers. Keep the Alexanders in your prayers this week.

Tracy continues to put the Word in front of guys every week. He shared that he has been a little bummed with the response to what he has tried. We prayed for strength to continue anyway and remember the power that is in the Word and that it never comes back void.

Summer's coming. Pray for us and the folks we'll see. Pray for resources and for folks to pick up the slack that comes with summer schedules.
Pray for opportunities to impact lives beyond feeding. I believe our consistency in showing up and meeting a physical need every week for the past 4+ years has provided us with a platform of credibility and trust to do more things of a spiritual nature and we pray for God's guidance.

I mentioned earlier it didn't rain on us tonight. I was praying for rain tonight, though, just not where we were. I had a tennis match tonight and told Joe I wouldn't play because I played last week and missed most of the night. So I was praying for them to get rained out and then we could schedule a rematch and I could play in that, and I would get the best of both worlds. It didn't happen. They played and we won.
The best of both worlds. It's .....

No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google