Tuesday, February 24, 2009

...."Punks better be glad I feed the homeless on Tuesday nights"

I knew it was gonna be really cold tonight when I grabbed the church truck and there was a big sheet of ice in the bed of it. If it hadn't melted by 4:30, it wasn't gonna melt, because it was only getting colder.

We fed inside tonight and our friends were glad we did. It's always good when you can warm up and relax, even if it's only for a little while.

We had homemade chicken pot pie and homemade peach cobbler tonight.
Twig had the recipes, got everybody involved and ran the mixing show and brought it all together. Did a great job on the amount, too, because we came back with no peach cobbler and one half-size pan of pot pie.

BLAKE ANNA KELLY ELLEN ALEXIS JOHNNY CHRISTIAN J.BOGGS MICHAEL BRIEN DALLAS TWIG CAMERON ZACH TOM NICK and me were responsible for making it happen tonight.

Almost every person who commented on the pot pie tonight mentioned how much meat was in it. Well, one of my pet peeves is something like that, that shafts you on the meat and loads up on cheap filler like carrots and peas. So i thawed a ton of chicken breasts to put it in it. Twig didn't even use it all. I honestly think there was more chicken than vegetables in it. If there wasn't, it wasn't my fault. We bagged some of it up and back in the fridge.
But it had enough chicken it. We made sure of that.

The peach cobbler was way good, too. He just put canned peaches in a pan, then yellow cake mix on top and poured the juice from the peaches on top of that...I think. I might be missing something.
Whatever.
It was straight up and down like 6 o'clock.

Random Things
Sometimes we have some things left over at the end of the night that we can give to the Night Captain at the Mercy House to pass put as guys leave in the morning. Most of the time I'm one of the ones who takes it inside to give to them. The inside is just a long, low ceilinged room with three rows of bunkbeds in it. I always tone my act down when I go in there, and I'm not really sure why, except maybe because I feel like I'm stepping into their privacy in a way I haven't earned or shouldn't be privy to. It's weird.
And the women that serve with us will never see it because they won't ever go in there.


Back in the day.... I used to go to the trivia contests that Hooters had every Tuesday.
And win.
Every week.
Seriously.
Guys would get up and leave when I came in.
They changed the rules a couple of times to handicap me.
Didn't matter
Not bragging, just saying.

And every week I'd win an "ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT Wing Party for me and 10 other people" Gift Certificate. 10 other people. Do you know how popular you become when you say "Hey wanna go to Hooter's and eat all the wings you want for free?
I had a stack of them on my dresser
But then something happened. I noticed every time Hooter's got mentioned, so did my name. Especially around Youth Group.
I decided that as much as I liked winning every time and being known for winning every time, I didn't like the association being made. Now, I have no problem with Hooter's. I don't care if others go there. I'd go tomorrow if someone said let's go.
But I did not want to be the first thing someone thought of when their name came up. I didn't hit on the waitresses, didn't drink, and I really did go for the kick of beating any and everybody. But it just got where I couldn't see it doing my witness any good.
So I quit going.
About that time, BW3 opened up here in town. They had trivia network games you could play in a more family oriented atmosphere. Plus I started doing this on Tuesday nights.
So, no big deal.
But, every now and then, I'll ride by there and the Hooter's sign will be advertising "TRIVIA TUESDAYS" and I feel like stopping and sticking my head in the door and yelling......




No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google