Monday, November 3, 2008

That's me......Citizen Gary

Did you vote early?

I hadn't until last Friday. I left school and went to the downtown spot. I wasn't sure I would stay if it looked crowded, so I rolled through the parking lot to check it out. Lo and behold, there was a spot directly in front of the building. I parked there expecting someone to come out and tell me I couldn't park there, but no one did so I went on in.

Two workers at the door told me the wait was approximately an hour and forty-five minutes. I debated briefly about taking off and coming back Saturday morning, but I knew that wasn't happening, so I got in line.

And I'm really glad I did, because for the next hour and forty-five minutes I had a great conversation with the guy in line next to me. We started out talking about voting, and politics, and the process, etc. At some point the word "church" got used and I found out that he went to Port City and worked in the Children's program there. I told him I went to First Baptist and worked with the youth. The cool thing was that we didn't spend the rest of time talking about our churches, but instead it was a common factor that provided a jumping off point for a ton of other spiritual topics such as Christian authors, speakers, trends, and so on. He shared his tesitmony about coming to Christ as an adult and I told him mine about growing up in the church and accepting Christ at age 11. ( For those who don't know, I was a kid with a huge "drug" problem. I got drug to church every time they opened the doors.) It was a great way to kill the time spent waiting for our turn to vote.

It's a good thing the wait in line left me a good mood or otherwise the voting itself would not have. Some of the choices in front of me for offices were no win situations. I wish I could've checked "Neither. Let's do without and try again in a couple of years" (and I'm not talking about the presidential race). But on the whole, it was a good experience.

So not only did I exercise my right as an American to vote, I engaged in freedom of speech and freedom of religion at the same time!WHOO HOO! I was so full of it, I sang "I'm just a Bill" from the Schoolhouse Rock cartoons all the way home.





No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google