Thursday, December 18, 2008

...reasons you're glad you're not related to me.

The little bit I have to pass on this week is second hand info because I wasn't there. I was in the bed with some nasty sinus drainage. That's the second time this year. I usually don't get sick this time of year. Last time I mentioned it to Brien Campbell and she told me some worst case scenario about her having a sinus infection in the bone and dying if she couldn't get airlifted somewhere within an hour.

I didn't tell her I was sick this time.



Twig said the Bible Study that came this week did a good job. He said the people were very appreciative of the opportunity to do it.



Don't know yet what we'll do next week. Kind of wide open. If any of y'all have ideas, let me know.

I think I might be leaning towards Christmas cheeseburgers.



I've got a Christmas Party in Dunn this Saturday with my Mom's side of the family. It's always a good time and they're a lot of fun. One of the things everybody looks forward to at the party is "Dirty Christmas".

I'm sure a lot of y'all do this. Everyone brings a gift, everybody gets a number, the first number takes a gift, opens it and shows everybody, then #2 can pick a new present or steal the present just opened by # 1. If he steals it, #1 gets to pick again, open it and show it. Then # 3 can steal from #1 or #2, and you just keep going. It's fun.



The thing that gets me about this though, is the presents that are brought. Usually there's a price limit, so that's a constraint you're working under. But it's funny to look at the things that show up every year. In the past, you could always count the ol' 3-pack of canned nuts being in there at least once, if not several times. Candles, plates, cologne,.....that kind of stuff. The rule of thumb for the guys at our party is stay away from the bags. Get something wrapped. Seriously, I avoid the bags like the plague. But even then, you can still get burned. I had a three year run awhile back where I got a silver platter, a pitcher and bowl set, and a clock.

In the business, we call those keepers, because you open a present like that and you can bet you'll be going home with it because nobody is going to steal it.

The present that has been automatic the past few years has been the "Hot Chocolate Gift Pak".
You've seen it....big box ,a few mugs, a variety of hot chocolate flavors and some marshmallows. Guaranteed to be under the tree at the party. Somebody always brings it.

I try to have fun with it and bring fun stuff, or something off the wall and then hide money or lottery tickets on it somewhere. In the past I've brought Air-zookas, games that give you an electric shock, etc. Last year I took one of those huge, oversized remote controls. It was a hit.

What am I bringing this year? Glad you asked.



I went to the Bahamas a couple of years ago on a mission trip and saw O.J. Simpson at a restaurant. So I got Don to take a picture of me and him together. I had forgot it about until the other day. I got to thinking about this year's party. What would one of my relatives love to have for Christmas? Well, how about a picture of me and O.J.?
And why not make it 11" by 14" and frame it?
Brilliant!

I'll probably stuff a little cash or a few Powerball tickets in the back for them, if they ever get around to looking back there.

The threat of getting that for Christmas is just one more reason you can add to the already long list of.....


P.S. Pray for Brien and her family. She told me the other day her Fathe rhad been taken to Hospice. They don't know a lot right now about time, but she said it could be a while, which would make Christmas tough for them this year. He lives in Bath, NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google