Friday, December 26, 2008

A little late, but......

This is the post I wrote the day after Christmas and failed to post before I went out of town after Christmas. My bad. Here it is:


On Monday, in the midst of deciding what to serve Tuesday, I got a call from Thomas Varno. He asked if i knew what we were serving. I said nothing definite. He said his dad would volunteer to make barbecue for us. I ain't crazy. I said that'd be great.
What a nice gesture. At a time when most of us are busy and running around for ourselves, he took time to think of us and prepare food for us. Appreciate that.

So.....since that was taken care of I took on another project. One of the things I associate with Christmas is brown lunch bags filled with fruit, candy and nuts. And the reason is, when I was a kid growing up, every year at the Sunday night Christmas service, Santa Claus would come out and pass out bags like that to all the children. I wasn't a big fan of the fruit, but I loved that bag. (That's right. SANTA CLAUS came to the church. Don't see that happening these days.)


I just figured I would go to Sam's and buy some fruit in bulk and make up bags. Then I got a call from Gaynelle (That's Renee Griffin to the rest of y'all. Don't ask.). She said Johnny gets produce from a place on Carolina Beach Road just up from Legion Stadium and I should check it out because if the guy who owns knew what I was buying it for he might cut me a break on the price. So I went there, and let me tell you, the guy has got it going on when it comes to fruit and vegetables!
He's got the good ones (bananas, pineapples, potatoes, etc.) the bad ones ( leafy greens, squashes, collards, etc.) and and all the ones in between.
I bought four boxes of fruit - bananas, oranges, apples and tangerines for about $60, and I'd rather give that to a local guy during Christmas than Sam's. (Nothing against Sam's. I love the place.)

We made about 80 bags from all that.

Back to the Barbecue.......
It was gooood. I think they thought I was joking when they lined up and I said we were having barbecue sandwiches.
Had a great bunch out helping for the Christmas Barbecue Meal. I always appreciate when people take time during the holidays to help us.

I'll be out next week. Going down to Bimini with Don Vigus and some 10th graders for a little fun in the sun.

I'll let you know how that goes. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year


No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google