Friday, April 9, 2010

....might not have any kind of bread at all!

We have a wonderful resource at a bread outlet who provides us with just about any kind of bread we need, whenever we need it. I've mentioned her before. We call her the Bread Lady.
This week we were doing Hot Dogs. She didn't have any hot dog buns available. She gave us regular sandwich bread instead. No big deal.  It wouldn't be the first time I'd ever eaten a hot dog on white bread.

We've been grilling the hot dogs for a while now, but I figured we'd boil them this time just to do something different. And since we were doing something different, we threw some OLD BAY Seasoning in the water while they were boiling. I like OLD BAY a lot. It's like a dry version of TEXAS PETE.  I put it in and on a lot of things.

Basically we served an open faced hot dog. We split the wiener and put it split -side down then fixed it however they wanted. We had ketchup, mustard, cheese, mayo, onions, chili, cole slaw, sauerkraut and TEXAS PETE. If they wanted it folded over, fine. If not, they just ate it with a fork. Worked out fine.

We started calling it a "Poor Man's Hot Dog" because I told them we were using white bread because I was a poor man and too broke to buy buns. It just kinda stuck after that- Poor Man's Hot Dog.

POOR MAN'S HOT DOG
COLE SLAW
DESSERT
SWEET TEA/WATER

TWIG  /  BRIEN  /  NEW TERESA  /  MITCH  /  CHRISTIAN  /  SAM  /  TYLER  /  BAILEY  /  JOHANNA  /  MARK  /  KILLER  /  MERRITT  /  MAGGIE  /  HAMPTON  /  PEYSON  /  MO-GAN  /  CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!  /  LAURA

We saw a bigger crowd at both stops then we had the past month. I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know exactly what it is. There are a lot of factors and they aren't always apparent or consistent. We just serve until one of two things come to an end...the line or the food.
I remember one time when it was obvious the food we had that night was not going to last as long as the line was. I decided to send someone to Burger King with $40 and get 40 Whopper Jr.'s. I thought about the best way to do it and then I called Brien over and slipped her some cash and told her what we needed and to hustle. I called Brien specifically because I knew she'd get it done the fastest, PLUS, if there was any hitch in the plan, she'd make a good decision and get it done anyway. That's the kind of person she is. If I'm in a bind, I like to know who the go-to people are. Brien is a go-to person. She called ahead and told them she was coming and after making sure she was on the level, they did it and she got back as quick as any one could've. I think we wound up with about 3 Whopper Jr.'s left.
That's the only time we've ever needed to do that. But it left a big impression on me. Now I'm bad for looking at what we have and wondering if it's enough and adding things. Then when we serve I see we would've been right on the money without what I added.
Says something about me I guess. More faith needed, less reliance on my opinion.

Broke out the fitted table cloths this week.  Very nice!
Liking them a lot. I think I'm gonna call Kinko's and see if they could print something like a picture on one of them and see what it would cost. That could be fun. But if it costs too much, next time the Poor Man's Hot Dog.......

No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google