Monday, March 31, 2008

Just a couple of quick things.......

FISH FRY! FISH FRY! FISH FRY!
It's gonna be fun....Hot oil, flour, hush puppies, tartar sauce......good stuff!

We're going to do it like a real fish fry,too. We'll make up the whole plate and then take them to the stops.

Why? Glad you asked.

Because if we cook the fish and then put them in the cooler to stay warm like we do other meats, the fish will be soggy before we finish the first stop. By fixing individual plates in carryout trays, we can keep it crispier longer. It makes for less to do at the tables as far as serving, but that's just means more time for interaction with our friends.

Projected menu:
Fish
Cole slaw
Corn on the cob
Hush puppies
Dessert
Tea/Water

Greg Garrett donated alot of the fish and we bought some to fill out what we needed. In the past we've really had good meals when we fry fish and our friends are always asking when we're gonna do it again.

I think about that. I think they ask about it and like it so much because they probably don't get it very much. It makes sense. If you're in their position, and alot of what you eat is stuff brought to you by outside groups, I imagine much of the food falls in to the same categories. Casseroles. Sandwiches. Leftovers. Packaged foods ( crackers, cookies, etc.) That's why I try to think of other stuff. Breakfast, Baked Potatoes, Fish, etc.
It 's really neat to see and hear them get excited about a meal.

It makes me feel guilty for all the times when I was a kid and I'd walk in the house and ask "What's for supper?", and my mom would say any of a number of things that I didn't particularly care for, and I would go "Oh, man., or " I hate that" or the one that was probably the worst,"Anything else?"
And for all the things my mom could cook that were great and I looked forward to them, man, she had a few that would ruin my night. Turnips.....Collards......and the absolute worst as far as I was concerned...Salmon croquettes ( or salmon patties, as some say) I'd rather take a beating. Eeewww! I didn't even like typing the words.

And on that pleasant note.... talk to you tomorrow and tell you how it went. g

1 comment:

  1. hey, its nate.
    i found the infamous blog. looks good, i'll be sure to click on some of the ads to do my part. i've actually got a blog too...of course, "you can read about it on my blog."

    undauntedproductions.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google