Tuesday, March 18, 2008

...we just try to be His Hands

3/18/08 (Greg Garrett's Birthday)

Well,...... tonight closed a chapter in the story that is "TUESDAY NIGHTS". It's a little sad but not really. Tonight we used the absolute last of the 6,000 lbs. of pork that Smithfield donated to us back in September of '06.

That wasn't a typo. It wasn't supposed to be 600..... it was 6,000 lbs of pork.

3 tons. Of pork. Frozen pork.
Here's a fact for you: If you don't plan on using all 6,000 lbs at one time, you have to keep the pork frozen.
Go to Lowe's and ask them if they have any freezers big enough for 6,000 lbs of anything.
Matter of fact , try this : Take 2 minutes and think to yourself "Hmm, where would I put 6,000 lbs. of pork?"

Tomorrow, I'll try to type that story . But for now...

The weather was nice tonight. Very pleasant. We served roasted pork sirloin, rice and gravy, green beans, cukes and tomatoes, dinner rolls and dessert. It was a good meal. We also had about 15 frozen pizzas given to us by Amy Long and we put them in Zip-locs, 2-3 pieces to a bag and handed them to our friends to take with them for the next day. We had 20 people at the 1st stop and around 55 at the second.
Josh Armstrong came tonight and was a huge help. Josh is a Jr. at Ashley and very active in sports and so his schedule doesn't always allow him to come on Tuesdays but he comes when he can and we're always glad to see him.
Just like Taylor Hamlet. Taylor is a regular helper but was in a play and had to take care of that but we were glad to see her back this week.

The crowd tonight was:
Josh
Ryan
Anna
Bryan
Theresa
Twig
Taylor
Mark Hamlet
Tom
Jim Morgan
Ellen
Luann
Gary Wilcox
me

For the "GOD operates in the coolest way" file;
I had someone hand me $157 Friday, right out of the blue, for Tuesday Nights. $157. That's wild. We can use it, too. I bought us some bins for our silverware, gonna get one of those big honkin' things of Aluminum foil at Sam's, some oil and stuff our upcoming FISH FRY, maybe a new table,... we'll see. Very thankful for the gift and for the person who gave it.

In the kitchen tonight we also had the Interfaith volunteers fixing their meal. Haywood and his wife are very good hosts for the families when they are here. And Johnny and Renee Griffin always do Tuesday suppers for Interfaith so we see them whenever they're here, too. They have been very good to us on Tuesday nights...at Thanksgiving and other times during the year. Renee's my deacon Prayer Buddy this month. Except when I pray for her I don't call her Renee, I call her Gaynelle, cause that's what I always call her. Always have.
Robin Manning was helping them tonight also. I've told you in previous blogs about how much Robin has and continues to do for us. Go back and look. She's great.

When I called Twig the other day and said "What do you feel like cooking" and he suggested using the pork we had in the freezer, I was a liitle bummed. I liked the fact that when I opened that freezer, I could see that pork in there and remember what GOD did for us. If it had been up to me, we might've never cooked it. I would have just left it in there for a long time.
But I'm goofy.
I was bummed about leaving our original spot on Market St. beside St. James and moving over to our current location in front of FBC.
Why?
Because the other spot is where we started and it was familar and blah stubborn sentimentality blah blah...
And guess what? The new spot is great, and better, and easier, and works better in most ways.
So, when I think about that and put it in perspective, it wasn't that big of a deal to cook the last of the pork. It doesn't do any good just sitting in there freezing away, does it? Plus, it was really good tonight. Still.......

Anyway....that's how tonight went. Good as always. It was a blessing to serve our friends and hear them say Thank you and God Bless You. It always is. The Glory is God's .....

g

No comments:

Post a Comment


Here's the view if you're next in line

About Me

My photo
Keep moving, folks. Nothing to see here.
Google